It can be tough to fit everything you want to take overseas in your luggage, but these space-saving tips will help you optimize your baggage space!
- Roll it: If it can be rolled, roll it instead of folding! This saves space in your bags and reduces wrinkles.
- Fill your shoes, bags, etc.: Optimize the space inside all of your shoes and bags by stuffing them with items! I like to roll up my workout clothes and put them in my shoes. If you have a bag that doesn’t fold up well, fill it with clothing instead!
- Wear the big stuff: Keep your biggest items out of your bags by wearing them! For example, your chunkiest shoes and your fluffy winter coat would practically take up half your suitcase if you tried to fit them in it! Instead, wear your biggest pair of shoes and wear/carry your big coat, plus additional layers!
- Go mini: You might want to take a variety of nail polish colors, but they’ll quickly take up a lot of space. Instead, choose a few of your favorite colors and buy them in mini bottles for travel! Try to think of any other items that you won’t need a full container of, and instead invest in a smaller version for your trip.
- Choose ebooks: Instead of heavy and space-consuming physical books, opt for ebooks! Ebooks can be read on your smartphone, or you can invest in an e-reader if you prefer.
- Adjust for the weight limit: Checked baggage has a weight limit, but often carry-on and personal items do not. Therefore, I purposely put my heaviest items in my carry-on so that I don’t need to pay extra for an overweight checked bag.
- Pack universal articles of clothing: Do your best to pack articles of clothing that can be pieced together various ways to create multiple different outfits.
If packing your suitcase feels like doing a puzzle, you’re doing it right! Good luck packing; I hope you have space for all of the essentials!
What space-saving packing tips do you live by? Share them below!