Finding cheap airline tickets can be really overwhelming, and is often a trading game of price vs. layovers until you come to a happy balance between the two. It can be a challenging and stressful process, but these hacks should help you through the process!
- Use an incognito window: Whenever you sit down to look up flights, your first step should be to open an incognito/private window in your internet browser. This keeps the prices low instead of increasing based on demand.
- Use a flight search engine: Sites such as Kayak, Skyscanner and Travelocity will search, collect, and compare thousands of flights for you so you can easily see all of your options. My personal favorite is Kayak. Using these sites you can request email alerts when the price for your flight drops, see how the cost has changed recently, find the cheapest days to travel, and whether or not they recommend you purchase the flight.
- Look 2-3 months in advance: In order to buy the cheapest flights, it’s best to purchase them 2-3 months before your trip. Prices tend to increase the closer you get to your travel date.
- Search multiple times: Rather than purchasing the first flights you find, look into flights for a few days to see how the prices fluctuate.
- Try different airports: Some airports (such as PHL) are notoriously known for being expensive, while others are more affordable options. If possible, try looking at flights that fly out of other nearby airports. Make sure you calculate any extra time/travel you may need to invest to get to a potentially farther airport.
- Look during the weekday: Prices tend to be cheapest during the day in the work week. Take full advantage of that lunch break!
- Travel on Tuesday or Saturday: Apparently Tuesdays and Saturdays are the cheapest days of the week to travel because there are fewer business travelers on those days. If possible, consider traveling those days!
Using these tips, your balancing skills, and some time, you’re bound to find a flight you’ll be happy with!
What tips do you use to find the best flights?